Looking for a way to make your travel experience a little more comfortable? Why not make your travel pillowcase by yourself!
Well, with this easy tutorial, you can make your travel pillowcase in just a few minutes! This is a great project for beginners, and it will make your travels much more comfortable. So what are you waiting for? Start sewing!
Easy and Quick Steps to Make a Travel Pillowcase
A travel pillowcase can make a big difference on a long flight or car trip. Not only will it help to save you from unhygienic travel pillowcases, but it will also provide a comfortable surface to rest on.
Step 1: Gather materials to make a travel pillowcase
Before you start, gather everything you’ll need to make your pillowcase.
- The fabric
- A sewing machine
- Straight pins
Tips and Tricks:
- You’ll need a piece of fabric that’s approximately 18 inches by 36 inches.
- If you’re using a patterned fabric, make sure the print is aligned the way you want it before you begin cutting.
- Look for fabric that is soft and breathable. Cotton material is a good option, as it is machine-washable and available in a variety of colors and patterns.
Once you have everything gathered, you’re ready to start making your travel pillowcase.
Step 2: Cutting the fabric
Once you’ve selected the perfect fabric, it’s time to cut it to size. Make sure to measure twice and cut once so that you end up with two identical pieces of fabric.
Tips and Tricks:
- While cutting, make sure the fabric is smooth and free of wrinkles.
- If you’re not sure how big to make your pillowcase, a good rule of thumb is to cut the fabric so that it’s about twice the size of the pillow insert.
- You’ll also want to make sure that it’s a size that will fit easily into a suitcase or carry-on bag.
Once you’ve cut the fabric, it’s time to move on to step three: sewing the fabric.
Step 3: Sewing the fabric
Follow these instructions:
- Before sewing, make sure the pattern is facing in and pin the raw edges together.
- Start sewing about an inch from the top raw edge.
- Sew around the pillowcase, leaving a 3-4 inch opening at the bottom.
- Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your seam.
- Trim away any excess thread, and turn the pillowcase right side out.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you are using a print fabric, make sure the design is going in the right direction before you start sewing.
- Use a chopstick or other sharp object to poke out the corners.
- Press the pillowcase, making sure to tuck in that little opening at the bottom.
Step 4: Finishing touches
Now it’s time for the finishing touches!
- Topstitch around the pillowcase, about a quarter of an inch from the edge. This will help to keep everything in place and look neat.
- If you want, you can also add a decorative touch by stitching a simple design at the bottom.
Tips and Tricks:
- Topstitch around the pillowcase, close to the edge. This will help the pillowcase keep its shape.
Step 6: How to use your new travel pillowcase
Now that you’ve made your travel pillowcase, you’re probably wondering how to use it:
- For Inflatable pillow:
- Inflate the pillow to the desired size and then place it inside the pillowcase.
- Make sure to close the valve before putting it into the case.
- For a regular pillow:
- Fluff it up and then place it inside the case.
- Tie the end of the pillowcase closed. This will help to keep the pillow in place and stop it from moving around inside the case.
- Pack your new pillowcase in your luggage or carry-on bag.
When you’re ready to use it, simply take it out and enjoy a cozy nap on your next flight.
Step 7: Variations in design (Optional)
If you want, you can also add a few variations to this design. For example, you could:
- Make a smaller pillowcase that can be used as a neck pillow.
- Use two different fabrics to make a reversible pillowcase.
- Add a zipper closure instead of tying the end shut.
- Make a larger pillowcase that can be used as a body pillow.
No matter what variation you choose, this travel pillowcase is sure to make your next flight more comfortable!
Easy & Quick Steps to Make a No-Sew Travel Pillowcase
If you accidentally forget to bring your travel pillowcase and don’t find a tidy pillow on an airplane, just follow these easy steps to make a no-sew travel pillowcase.
- All you need is a scarf, a pillow, and less than five minutes of your time.
- First, lay the scarf out flat.
- Then, place the pillow in the center of the scarf.
- Make sure that the front and back of the pillow are both facing up.
- Next, take the two ends of the scarf and tie them together in a double knot.
- Finally, flip the pillow over so that the Knot is now on the underside.
And that’s it! You’ve just made your no-sew travel pillowcase.
Making your travel pillowcase is a great way to save money and ensure that you always have a clean and comfortable place to rest your head.
Plus, it’s a super easy project that can be completed in just a few minutes.
Check also: How to make travel bags at home?