Are you wondering if you can use a gym bag as a carry-on? The answer is yes, you can! Most gym duffel bags are considered carry-on luggage, but there are a few things to look into. Here, we will give you some simple guidelines for taking a gym bag on an airplane and what to pack in it. So, keep reading.
Check Also: What to Keep in Your Gym Bag?
Which Size to Consider When Using Gym Bags as a Carry-On
The first thing you need to know is the size restrictions for carry-on luggage. The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 22in x 14in x 9 in or 45L.
This means that your duffel bag must fit in the overhead compartment and under the seat in front of you.
However, there are a few airlines that have different size restrictions, so it’s always best to check with your airline before packing your gym bag.
Can a Gym Bag Count as a Personal Item for a Flight?
A personal item is something that you can keep with you in the cabin of the plane. The next thing you need to know is whether a gym bag counts as a personal item.
This can be a purse, laptop bag, or even a small backpack. A gym bag usually counts as a personal item but isn’t the most common type of personal item. It depends on the airline.
So, if you’re planning on taking a gym bag as a personal item, make sure to check with the personal item sizes of your airline first.
Pros and Cons of Using Gym Bags as Carry-Ons
Now that you know everything about taking a gym bag as a carry-on, let’s weigh the pros and cons:
|You can bring all your necessary items in one bag.||There’s a chance your bag might get lost or delayed.|
|It’s a great way to save space and avoid packing multiple bags.||You might have to pay a carry-on fee if your bag is too large.|
|You can avoid checked baggage fees.||Your bag might get damaged during the flight.|
|Much lighter and more economical than suitcases.||Offer poor organizing features.|
|Slouchy enough to be stowed under the airline seat or overhead compartment, if packed light.||You should be prepared that the employees at the airport might single out your gym bags as it’s not “normal” personal items.|
Packing List for Your Gym Bag for a Flight
Now that you know your gym bag is allowed on the plane, it’s time to know what can you pack.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when packing your gym bag as an alternative to carrying on for a flight:
- Most importantly, pack light and stow your necessary clothes and shoes!
- Pack some snacks and travel books for having some fun during the flight.
- Pack your paperwork like Passport, ID, important documents, and Travel-friendly debit and credit cards.
- If you’re traveling with a laptop or other electronics, make sure to pack them in a dedicated compartment.
- If you’re planning on working out while you’re away, don’t forget to pack your workout gear
- And last but not least, don’t forget to pack your toiletries such as an all-purpose head-to-toe body wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, basic first aid items, and grooming kit.
Some additional tips on how to make the most of your space:
- Use a separate smaller bag for your shoes to avoid taking up too much space.
- Avoid using rolling gym bags as a carry-on to shred extra wheels’ weight.
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them to save space.
- Use packing cubes to organize your bag and make the most of the space.
- Invest in a good gym bag that has multiple compartments to make packing easier.
With these simple guidelines, you’ll be able to take your gym bag as a carry-on with ease! So, the next time you’re packing for a trip, make sure to bring your gym bag along.
She started LadiesTravelBags.com in late 2020 as a blog website, where she can write about bags. The reason was her interest in bags since she was young. She finds it intriguing how a bag can be more than a mere functional accessory and can instead manifest one’s personality, style, and identity. Here you will find her reviews and guides on duffels, totes, handbags, organizers, backpacks & much more.