Are you wondering if you can take your gym bag as a carry-on? The answer is yes, you can! Most gym bags are allowed as carry-on luggage, but there are a few things to consider.
Here, we will give you some simple guidelines for taking a gym bag on an airplane and what to pack in it. So, keep reading.
Can Gym Bags be used as a Carry On
Traveling can be a hassle, especially if you have to worry about what to take as a carry-on bag. The simple answer is the bag that will fit in the overhead compartment.
But what if you could take your entire gym with you? Believe it or not, here you’ll find some rules to stowing your gym bag as a carry-on on your next flight!
Carry-on Luggage Sizes
The first thing you need to know is the size restrictions for carry-on luggage. The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 22in x 14in x 9 in or 45L.
This means that your gym bag must fit in the overhead compartment and under the seat in front of you.
However, there are a few airlines that have different size restrictions, so it’s always best to check with your airline before packing your gym bag.
Packing List for Your Gym Bag for a Flight
Now that you know your gym bag is allowed on the plane, it’s time to know what can you pack.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when packing your gym bag as an alternative to carrying on for a flight:
- Most importantly, pack light and stow your necessary clothes and shoes!
- Pack some snacks and travel books for having some fun during the flight.
- Pack your paperwork like Passport, ID, important documents, and Travel-friendly debit and credit cards.
- If you’re traveling with a laptop or other electronics, make sure to pack them in a dedicated compartment.
- If you’re planning on working out while you’re away, don’t forget to pack your workout gear
- And last but not least, don’t forget to pack your toiletries such as an all-purpose head-to-toe body wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, basic first aid items, and grooming kit.
Some additional tips on how to make the most of your space:
- Use a separate smaller bag for your shoes to avoid taking up too much space.
- Avoid using rolling gym bags as a carry-on to shred extra wheels’ weight.
- Roll your clothes instead of folding them to save space.
- Use packing cubes to organize your bag and make the most of the space.
- Invest in a good gym bag that has multiple compartments to make packing easier.
Can a Gym Bag Count as a Personal Item for Flight?
A personal item is something that you can keep with you in the cabin of the plane. The next thing you need to know is whether a gym bag counts as a personal item.
This can be a purse, laptop bag, or even a small backpack. A gym bag usually counts as a personal item but isn’t the most common type of personal item. It depends on the airline.
So, if you’re planning on taking a gym bag as a personal item, make sure to check with the personal item sizes of your airline first.
Pros and Cons of Using Gym Bags as Carry-Ons
Now that you know everything about taking a gym bag as a carry-on, let’s weigh the pros and cons:
|You can bring all your necessary items in one bag.||There’s a chance your bag might get lost or delayed.|
|It’s a great way to save space and avoid packing multiple bags.||You might have to pay a carry-on fee if your bag is too large.|
|You can avoid checked baggage fees.||Your bag might get damaged during the flight.|
|Much lighter and more economical than suitcases.||Offer poor organizing features.|
|Slouchy enough to be stowed under the airline seat or overhead compartment, if packed light.||You should be prepared that the employees at the airport might single out your gym bags as it’s not a “normal” personal item.|
With these simple guidelines, you’ll be able to take your gym bag as a carry-on with ease! So, the next time you’re packing for a trip, make sure to bring your gym bag along.
Check Also: What to Keep in Your Gym Bag?